The name Haga comes from ‘hage’, meaning meadow. The present Haga Park originally comprised two properties that in the space of 15 years were purchased by Gustav III to create a royal recreational area. These were (Präst)hagen and Brahelund – ‘(vicar’s) meadow’ and ‘Brahe grove’. The king’s plans to build a magnificent summer palace there were stopped by his assassination in March 1792, but the foundations had already been laid; then called Haga Park’s ‘ruins’. The graceful royal residence known as the ‘King’s Pavilion’ was however completed, to designs by the architect Olof Tempelman. It was from here that Gustav III journeyed to that fatal masquerade in the Royal Opera House in present-day Gustav Adolfs Torg on 16 March, 1792.
The Copper Tent, Koppartälten, was designed in 1787 by the king’s theatre architect, the French-born Louis Jean Desprez – of whom Gustav III said: ‘He is the only one besides myself in this country with any imagination. The building stood ready three years later. It is covered with three monumental entrance facades in the form of stage curtains, styled as an oriental tent and inspired by antique Roman army tents. It was intended to be a barracks for the king’s life guards whenever he visited Haga. In 1816–1856 it served as a barracks for the forerunners to the ‘Norwegian Guard’.
In 1953 the central copper tent was totally ravaged by fire, but it was rebuilt with its decorative make-believe facade in 1976, as the Silver Tent, according to designs by the court architect Torbjörn Olsson.