Linnerhielm_Tivoliw.jpgView from Tivoli in 1786. Jonas Carl Linnerhielm. Stockholm City Museum. Grafiskt element

Tivoli

Ambassador Creutz is offered Tivoli peninsula
Tivoli Hill and Piper’s Park are located on a hilly headland on Brunnsviken’s northern strand. The area belonged to Bergshamra manor which at the time of the land reformation was placed under Ulriksdal. In the beginning of the 18th century, Bergshamra was put at the disposal of court advisor Samuel Barck as leaseholder fidei kommiss. Several known diplomats and government officials came to reside with the musically minded Barck. These included the poet and ambassador to Paris Count Creutz, who had been called home to lead the government during Gustav III’s Italian trip in 1783–84. Creutz had been ill for a long while and when he sought a place for rest and recovery, Barck offered him the beautiful Tivoli peninsula immediately south of Bergshamra’s principle building.

Piper begins a park in the style of Haga
‘His Excellency the lately demised count Creutz had begun building a small summer park on Bergshammar’s property outside Roslagstull. There is a ‘Point de Vue’ from a hill there, which surely competes with the best of such delights. It provides a full view of the whole of Brunnsviken with swathes of forested headlands extending to right and left beyond one another out into the sea, like the side-wings on a stage with St Catharine’s church tower forming the backdrop. What makes the place especially picturesque and spellbinding are the steep pine-covered slopes dropping down to the sea below the onlooker’s feet and that when you follow the path in the wood on the land-side the theatrical scene does not show until you have reached the top of the hill.’ The location was ideal, with Haga and Gustav III on either side of the water. Creutz planned to erect a residence within a summer park. The landscape architect Fredrik Magnus Piper was called in, though at the time fully occupied with Haga and Drottningholm. Piper drew up designs for a park in the same style as Haga. Construction work began on the eastern hillock, but in 1785 Creutz died and the work stopped. Creutz never managed to build his house. A map dated 1786 shows a meandering system of paths on the eastern hillock, a number of specially placed trees and a canal between the bays of Bergshamraviken and Ålkisteviken. It can only be speculated whether Piper’s intention was to let the whole of the Tivoli peninsula be included in the park. Most likely it was Tivoli Hill that Piper refers to as a Point de Vue (‘eye-catcher’) in his description above.

Gustav III takes over – and leaves
As was the case with Bellevue, Gustav III took over the property and debts that Creutz left behind. He considered placing his projected summer palace in Tivoli but chose instead to concentrate on Haga. Nils Barck of Bergshamra took over Tivoli and built a residence on the slope down towards the water. Today the music pavilion is the only building that still remains from Barck’s enterprises. The Barck family’s circle of friends included the court composer Martin Kraus who often sought inspiration from sojourns at Tivoli. After his death he was buried in accordance with his wishes on Tivoli’s western point.

The Barck family lived abroad throughout the whole of the 19th century and both Bergshamra and Tivoli were leased out. The park was kept in good condition until the end of the 19th century, but was then left to grow wild. It was not until Piper’s 200th anniversary in 1978 that it was rediscovered.

Skriv ut