Skära villan ("the Pink Cottage") from the period of the Experimental Station. Photo: Lars Nyberg.
University and Colleges
Experimental fields become a university
Roslagsvägen is lined with academic institutes all the way from Valhallavägen, where the Royal Institute of Technology is situated, passing by Stockholm University and on to the Bergian Garden. The area west of Roslagsvägen and down towards Brunnsviken was the first to be transformed by a limited development in the decades around 1900. The Bergian Garden was founded in the 1880s, and the Veterinary College, the College of Forestry (SkHS) and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences were established in the 1910s. The Swedish Museum of Natural History was also built at this time – a monumental building, as was customary at the time, carefully positioned to maximise its surroundings. In fact, each area has its own specific character, the building complex having been designed to enhance the landscape. The different institutions are separated by extensive green areas. Throughout the 20th century, supplementary institutional buildings have been added within the area.
During the 19th century Abraham Niclas Edelcrantz and Israel af Ström made Djurgården a centre for the development of modern forestry and agriculture. The Rosendal and Bergian Gardening Associations became centres for this horticultural enterprise. Stockholm University is today expanding into the area formerly occupied by the Agricultural Academy’s experimental fields, where new methods of cultivation and new equipment were tested during the 19th century.
The Modernistic-styled main university building, known as the South House, was built in 1968–71 and stands out as a landmark with its light blue glass façade. During the final three decades of the 20th century, several individually designed buildings have been added, all of which are leading exponents of the architecture of their time. Despite the strong modern elements of the campus, the legacy from the period of the Agricultural Academy is still apparent. The main building of that time, Blom’s House, still holds a central position and the University restaurant ‘Lantis’ is situated in the former museum of farming and fishing. Several of the wooden villas which served as staff dwellings still survive.
Colleges elsewhere in the park
The national city park also houses several other colleges of higher education. Skeppsholmen contains the Royal University College of Fine Arts while Gärdet hosts the Swedish School of Sport and Health Sciences. The northern part of the park is home not only to the University campus in Frescati and to the Royal Institute of Technology, but also to the Swedish National Police Academy at Sörentorp, whose campus of brick buildings was erected for Svea Life Guards who moved to Sörentorp in 1946.