Gustav Vasa was responsible for moving the naval fleet to Stockholm. The Wasa Ship, a ship of the line, was built in 1628 on Blasieholmen, but ten years later Stockholm’s naval base was moved to present-day Skeppsholmen. The most striking building there is the Admiralty House, which was finished around 1650, in Queen Kristina’s time. The building was erected for the Admiralty, but has also been used for other maritime activities, such as barracks and storage etc. The well known architects Nicodemus Tessin the Younger and Fredrik Blom created many of the barrack buildings, stores and textile houses that are preserved on Skeppsholmen and Kastellholmen. An early type of rotating harbour crane manoeuvred by double treadwheels, built in 1750, and used for hoisting canons on board navy ships still stands, restored, on the eastern side of Skeppsholmen.
During the reign of King Karl XI, a citadel equipped with canons was erected on Kastellholmen whose position guards the sea-approach to Stockholm. This citadel was replaced by the present ‘Kastellet’ in 1848. For more than 300 years, the Swedish naval flag has been hoisted and lowered every day from the tower on Kastellholmen. In the 18th century, the galleys belonging to the coastal defence were housed in large ship-sheds at the Galärvarvet shipyard. By that time, pitch had long been produced on Beckholmen for the naval fleet, whose vessels were built and repaired both there and in the shipyard at Djurgården. Gustav V’s dock, the largest dry dock at the Beckholmen shipyard, was built as late as the 1920s. The naval station in Stockholm closed in the 1960s, when its activities were transferred to the newly built naval base on the island of Muskö.